Monday, September 20, 2010

Dave

I've seen Dave painting and chalk drawing at the corner of Yonge and Dundas ofr many years. I got downtown early this morning and Dave had already started a new piece. It was quiet so I introduced myself and we had a good chat about his work. This morning he was doing a corporate piece called Double Dutch. Dave's worked hard over the years to capture the South West corner as his patch for street art and is now getting more corporate gigs that pay quite well. Dave uses the money to buy new art materials to practice and improve his drawing skills. He has a lot of people ask him advice about making money in art - but really it comes down to simply working hard, building up your experience and making a name for yourself. Like many other jobs, there's no short cuts. He says people give him hats all the times with different chalk-themed aliases.

Along with being a daily shot, Dave is also #71 in my 100 strangers project.

No comments:

Post a Comment