Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Nofair / Nikon 18-200mm VR


Nofair - #63/365, originally uploaded by PJMixer.
Taken with my new Nikon 18-200mm VR lens.

I've wanted this lens for quite some time, but I haven't been able to easily justify the expense. Nikon released a new version of this lens late in 2009 that by most reports, only differs with a zoom lock to stop lens creep. Nikon apparently changed a lot of the focusing mechanics, but I don't believe the old and new are really that different and not really worth the $100+ difference. Nikon were still showing this lens on their site up until quite recently, but asking around told me that this original version was already disappearing from the stores. Combine that with a great price at Black's here in Toronto and the decision point was getting closer. When my wife got her ticket to the Olympics, there was another big reason to invest in this versatile and very highly rated lens. But as I was mulling this over just this morning, what became the tipping point was my wife's blog post and her desire to step out of auto-mode and learn how to properly use a dSLR.

I had a chance to take a few shots over lunch before my battery died. Already, I can tell it's going to create a little spike in my photographic activity. Early impressions of focusing speed and picture quality are very good. Why did I put this decision off so long ?

No comments:

Post a Comment